Mocha Chiffon Cake
6 egg yolk
¼ tsp salt
80g corn oil
5g Coffee Powder
30g dark chocolate (melt in microwave)
150g self raising flour
6 egg white
100g caster sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Sift flour. Set aside. Heat milk to warm and add the coffee powder. Stir and let cool.
3. With a hand whisk, whisk oil, coffee mixture, egg yolk, salt and 40g sugar together until combined. Add the melted chocolate and mix again to combine.
4. Sift flour into the egg yolk batter and whisk until smooth.
5. With an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites till frothy then add cream of tartar and gradually add the 100g sugar and continue to beat until firm peaks form.
6. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk batter until combined before adding the next 1/3 portion and mix again. Finally add the last portion and use a spatula to scoop from bottom and fold up until no streaks of white meringue can be seen. Gently fold in the raisins and then transfer the batter into a 20cm tube pan. You can use a 22cm pan if you wish for a shorter cake.
7. Place pan into a preheated oven and bake at 160C for 70-80 mins until cooked. Temperature and timing is indicative only. Please adjust according to your oven. You may tent the cake if it’s getting too brown.