Adapted from this recipe
90g plain flour
12g corn flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
70g Corn oil
100g coconut milk (I used 50ml milk + 50ml coconut milk)
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
100g caster sugar
Few drops of strawberry paste
1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Sift both flours, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
2. Heat up oil to about 70Deg C then add in the sifted flour mixture. Remove from heat and mix until a smooth paste forms. Add milk/coconut milk and mix until smooth. 3. Add egg yolks one by one into the mixture together with vanilla extract and mix until combined.
4. Beat egg whites until frothy, add in cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add in sugar and beat to firm peaks.
5. Lighten the batter with 1/3 portion of the meringue using a hand whisk. Then add another 1/3 portion of the meringue and gently fold. Repeat with the remaining portion until fully incorporated.
6. Divide the batter into 3 portions. Add in strawberry paste into one portion of the batter. Sift cocoa powder into the second portion and fold gently to combine. Leave the third portion plain.
7. Drop dollops of each portion of batter randomly into an 8″ round or 7″ square cake pan until complete.
8. Bang the cake pan on the kitchen bench to remove large air bubbles. Then, use a chopstick to swirl through the batter to create a marble effect.
9. Bake the cake at 160C for 70-80 minutes in a water bath until cake is done. Please adjust your temperature accordingly or use the method that works best for your oven.
10. After removing cake from the oven, wait for the cake to pull away from the pan before unmoulding.