Almond Chiffon Cake
6 egg yolks (65g eggs with shell)
1/2 tsp salt
60g corn oil
60g superfine flour or cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
60g ground almond (almond meal)
2 drops of almond extract
6 egg white
100g castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Preheat oven to 160C. Lowest rack. Blend flour and almond meal until fine. Mix in the baking powder.
1. Beat the egg yolks, salt, corn oil and milk until creamy before adding the flour mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined before setting aside and prepare the meringue.
2. Beat egg whites until foamy before adding the cream of tartar. Gradually add the sugar once the foam became fine. Continue beating to firm peaks.
3. Mix the meringue into the yolk batter in 3 additions, using a hand whisk or a spatula, folding until the batter is well combined.
4. Pour into a 20cm tube pan and tap gently to remove big bubbles and level up the top. Bake in preheated oven at 160C for 80 mins or until cooked. Please adjust temperature and timing according to your oven.
5. Invert to cool completely before unmoulding and slice.