Condensed Milk Chiffon Cake
6 eggs yolks (65g with shell)
100g corn oil
120g self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
80g condensed milk + 50g water
6 eggs whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar or 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp of coffee powder.
Line the base of an 8″ tube pan. Do not grease the sides.
1. Put oil in a saucepan and heat on low fire until just simmering. If you have a thermometer it should read 70C. Remove and immediately add the flour and stir with a whisk until smooth.
2. Lightly whisk the condensed milk, water and egg yolks together and add into the flour batter to mix well.
3. Beat the egg whites until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peaks form.
4. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Add the next 1/3 portion and whisk again. Finally, add the last portion, whisk briefly before switching to spatula to scoop the batter from bottom and fold up on to the batter to make sure all are combined and no more yolk batter can be seen. Remove a 3-4 tablespoon and mix with the coffee powder.
5. Pour half the batter into prepared pan. Drop dollops of the coffee flavored batter on top and pour in the balance natural batter to cover the coffee batter. Use a chopstick to go round the batter a couple of times and gently tap a few times to remove big bubbles. and bake in water bath at 160C for 70-80mins or until the cake bounces back when you lightly press the top.
6. Remove from oven and invert immediately on top of a slim mug or bottle to cool completely before unmoulding.