250g cream cheese
120g pumpkin flesh (steamed and mashed, nett weight)
5 egg yolks
60g castor sugar
150g full cream milk
50g cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp Vanilla extract
5 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
70g castor sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 160°C (Top and bottom heat, no fan force)
2. Line bottom of a 8in x 3in round cake pan and grease the sides.
3. Using a handwhisk, whisk the cream cheese, sugar (60g), salt and butter on a double boiler until smooth and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat. Add mashed pumpkin and milk and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Remove from heat.
4. Add egg yolks one at a time and whisk well after each addition until smooth.
5. Add vanilla, and whisk again.
6. Sift flour and fold into mixture until fully combined. Set aside.
7. Whisk whites in a clean, dry bowl at low speed till foamy.
8. Add cream of tartar and increase speed while gradually add sugar (70g) and beat till before soft peaks stage.
9. Fold whites into batter 1/3 at a time. Fold with a hand whisk until combined before adding another 1/3 portion. Finally add the last 1/3 and switch your handwhisk for a spatula to gently fold until smooth and no streaks of meringue is visible. Remove 3 tablespoons of batter and add a teaspoon of cocoa powder. Gently mix with a spoon until well combine. Careful not to deflate batter too much.
10. Pour batter into prepared pan and tap the pan on the counter to release air bubbles.
11. Bake in a waterbath at 160C (no fan) for 80 minutes on lowest rack in the oven.
12. Unmould once cake as pulled away from the sides of pan by inverting on to a smooth non-stick pan, peel off the lining paper and invert it back on to a rack to cool.