110g plain flour
10g corn flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
5 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
70g Corn oil
100g coconut milk
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
100g caster sugar
Few drops of blueberry paste
1 tsp peppermint paste and 2 drops of green food colouring
Variation: If you do not wish to use coconut milk, switch to full cream milk and replace corn oil with cold pressed coconut oil.
Of course you can match your own flavorings to create different colours:D
1. Sift both flours, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
2. Mix egg yolks together with vanilla extract, oil and coconut milk until well blended. Sift in flour mixture and mix until combined.
3. Beat egg whites until frothy, add in cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add in sugar and beat to firm peaks.
4. Lighten the batter with 1/3 portion of the meringue using a hand whisk. Then add another 1/3 portion of the meringue and gently fold. Repeat with the remaining portion until fully incorporated.
5. Divide the batter into 3 portions. Add blueberry paste into one portion of the batter. Add Peppermint and coloring into the second portion and fold gently to combine. Leave the third portion plain.
6. Drop dollops of each portion of batter randomly into an 8″ tube pan until complete.
Bang the cake pan on the kitchen bench to remove large air bubbles. Then, use a chopstick to swirl through the batter to create a marble effect.
Bake the cake at 160C for 70-80 minutes or until cake is done. After removing cake from the oven and immediately invert to cool completely before unmoulding.