Soft garlic buns
1 egg + 30g condensed milk and top up with full cream milk to make a total of 390g
40g fine sugar
1/2 tsp fine salt
60g unsalted butter (softened)
50g plain flour
1. Pour all dry ingredients into a stand mixer fixed with dough hook, followed by the wet ingredients, except butter. Start mixing at low speed until a soft dough has formed. Add the soften butter and continue kneading until the dough is tacky but not sticking to the sides of mixer bowl but should still stick to the bottom; if it is not, then you may have added too much flour or too little water. Adjust by adding more water or flour as the case may be, a tablespoon at a time. I probably knead for 20-30 minutes on low speed before the dough is ready.
2. Let it proof in the mixing bowl until doubled in size. Remove on to a lightly floured worktop and degas by gently flattening it.
3. Divide into 8 equal portions and shape into a ball. Shape the buns into desired shapes. I fill 6 with garlic butter (refer to this post for the garlic butter recipe) and 2 plain ones. Place in the prepare baking pan and spray some water on the buns and allow to proof until doubled. Brush with egg wash before baking.
5. Preheat your oven to 180C, put in your buns and reduce heat to 160C and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Turn the tray half way to ensure even baking.
6. Remove from the pan immediately after cooked and allow to cool on rack.