Orange Chiffon with Cranberries
110g plain flour
10g corn flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 egg yolks
70g Corn oil
100g orange juice
zest of the oranges
20g dried cranberries, chopped finely
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
110g caster sugar
1. Sift both flours, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
2. Mix together cranberries, oil, zest and orange juice until well blended. (Do this before preparing other ingredients to give time for the cranberries to soak in some moisture). Add the yolks once other ingredients are prepared. Mix well before sifting in flour mixture and mix until combined. Set aside.
3. Beat egg whites until frothy, add in cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add in sugar and beat to firm peaks.
4. Lighten the batter with 1/3 portion of the meringue using a hand whisk. Then add another 1/3 portion of the meringue and gently fold. Repeat with the remaining portion until fully incorporated.
5. Pour batter into an 8″ tube pan. You can use a 9″ pan if you have it as I have some leftover batter.
6. Bang the cake pan on the kitchen bench to remove large air bubbles.
7. Bake the cake at 160C for 70-80 minutes or until cake is done. After removing cake from the oven, Immediately invert to cool completely before unmoulding.