6 eggs yolks – 65g with shell
70g corn oil
100g plain flour
1/4 of salt
50g bluepea flower really concentrated juice
50g coconut milk
6 eggs whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
a few drops of Ocean blue color
Line the base of an 8″ round pan, bottom lined and grease sides
1. Put oil in a saucepan and heat on low fire until just simmering. If you have a thermometer it should read 70C. Switch off the heat and immediately add the flour and stir with a whisk until smooth.
2. Add in the coconut milk and bluepea juice and stir to combine.
3. Add in egg yolks and whisk with hand whisk until batter is smooth. Set aside.
4. Beat the egg whites until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peaks form.
5. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Add the next 1/3 portion and whisk again. Finally, add the last portion, whisk briefly before switching to spatula to scoop the batter from bottom and fold up on to the batter to make sure all are combined and no more yolk batter can be seen. Remove about 1/4 of batter and add some colour to it for a darker shade.
6. Pour half the original batter into prepared pan, then gently scoop in the darker shade batter, followed by the balance original batter. Tap gently to even out the top and bake in water bath at 160C for 70-80 minutes or until the cake bounces back when you lightly press the top. Time and temperature for your guidance only, please adjust to suit your oven.
7. Remove from oven and leave it for a couple of minutes before unmoulding.