Butter Sponge Cake with Lemon Curd whipped cream
6 egg yolks (Large about 65g)
80g superfine flour, sifted
80 g evaporated milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
60g butter, unsalted
pinch of salt (omit if using salted butter)
6 egg whites
80g castor sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Utentil: 9 x 13″ swissroll pan, fully lined with baking paper
Baking temp/time: 170C/40 mins, steam baked
1. Heat up the butter until melted then pour in the flour and stir into a smooth paste. Transfer into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the milk and stir briefly to combine then add the yolks to the mixture and stir until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
3. In a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until frothy before adding the cream of tartar. Continue beating until fine foams before adding sugar gradually and beat till firm peaks.
4. Take 1/3 of the meringue and mix into the yolk batter, stirring with a hand whisk until combined. Add another 1/3 portion and mix until combined before adding the final 1/3 and then switch to spatula to scoop the batter from bottom and fold up on to the batter until no more yolk batter is visible.
5. Pour into prepared pan, shake the pan from side to side to even out the top and steam bake at 170C for 40 minutes or until cooked.
6. Removed from oven and cool for a while before unmoulding and peel off the paper before inverting back up.
7. Once cooled, slice into half and apply the filling of your choice on one half, then place the other half on top. Decorate if you wish. Slice and serve.
Note: I used non-dairy whipping cream, whip up to stiff then add 2 tablespoon of lemon curd and whisk until smooth.