Cheddar Cheese Sponge Cake
6 slices of cheddar cheese
100g fresh milk
100g unsalted butter
6 egg yolks (large)
6 egg whites (large), cold from fridge
100g caster sugar
100g cake flour
1. Melt butter and cheddar cheese slices (tear into smaller pieces) in a double boiler using a hand whisk to stir until smooth, then add in milk and stir till combined. Set aside to cool slightly before use. Keep it warm, otherwise the mixture will harden.
2. Add in the yolks one at a time, whisking until combined.
3. Sift the cake flour into the egg yolk mixture and mix in until smooth.
4. In another mixing bowl, beat egg white till foamy. Gradually add in sugar and beat till firm peaks, almost to stiff.
5. Use a whisk, mix 1/3 of meringue with cheese mixture to lighten the batter. Continue with another 1/3 portion and repeat until complete. Switch to a spatula and gently scoop from bottom of bowl and fold up on to the batter until no streaks can be seen.
6. Pour the batter into a 7″ square pan (bottom lined and sides greased) and even out the surface by tapping gently on the worktop or jiggle the pan from side to side.
7. Bake the cake with a water bath (lowest rack) at 160C for 70-80 minutes on lowest rack or till cooked.
8. Take it out and remove from cake pan immediately and cool completely on rack.