Black Sesame Chiffon
70 gm self raising flour
50 gm black sesame powder
2 tsp charcoal powder
1/4 tsp salt
5 Large egg yolks (75g with shell)
50 gm corn oil (can replace with coconut oil)
80 ml coconut milk (santan) (can replace with milk for healthier version)
5 egg whites
60 gm castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Preheat oven to 160C; lowest rack.
1. Hand whisk egg yolks, sugar, santan, salt and corn oil until blended.
2. Sift the flour then mix sesame powder and charcoal powder with the flour; add this to the egg yolk mixture and use a hand whisk to stir until well combined. Set aside while you prepare the meringue.
3. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white, cream of tartar and castor sugar until firm peaks formed.
4. Mix 1/3 of meringue with yolk batter with a hand whisk. Add another 1/3 portion and fold gently with the whisk. Then pour in balance of meringue. Fold gently using a spatula until no more streaks of meringue can be seen.
5. Pour batter into a 20cm tube pan and tap pan lightly to remove air bubbles.
6. Bake in a shallow water bath for 1 hr at 160°C then reduced to 120C, remove the bath and continue to bake for another 20-30 minutes. Remove and invert immediately to cool.
7. To unmould, run a thin knife around the sides, the tube and the bottom of the cake.