Pandan Zebra Sponge Cake
6 large egg yolks
45g pandan juice (use lesser because pandan juice is thinner)
90g Cake flour/super fine flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Line the bottom an 8″ round pan. Grease the sides for easier unmoulding. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Divide into 2 portions.
3. Beat egg yolks, oil together until combined before dividing into 2 portions equally and add pandan juice and milk into each portion respectively.
4. Stir in the flour for each flavor. Set aside.
5. Beat egg whites until frothy before adding cream of tartar. Continue beating while gradually adding the sugar. Beat till firm peaks but not stiff. Divide into 2 equal portions. Fold the divided meringue into the yolk batters respectively until evenly mixed. Prepare two similar size ladle or two ice cream scoops.
6. Scoop one large scoop of each batter into prepared pan alternatively on top of each other. Tap after every scoop to flatten and remove bubbles. Bake with a water bath at 160C for 75-80 minutes or until cooked.
7. Remove from oven, wait until cake has pulled away from the sides before inverting on to a smooth non stick pan. Remove paper lining and re-invert on to a rack.
8. Place cake in the oven (do not turn it on) to dry using the remaining heat if the cake is still wet.