Gula Melaka Sponge cake
6 eggs yolks – (65g eggs)
50g corn oil + 20g coconut oil
100g cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
50g gula melaka syrup (I chopped up 50g gula melaka and boil with some water to make a thick syrup)
6 eggs whites
Line the base of an 8″ round pan.
1. Put oil, yolk, gula melaka syrup, milk and salt in a large bowl and stir until all blended. Add the flour and stir again with a whisk until smooth. Set aside.
2. Beat the egg whites until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peaks form.
3. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Add the next 1/3 portion and whisk again. Finally, add the last portion, whisk briefly before switching to spatula to scoop the batter from bottom and fold up on to the batter to make sure all are combined and no more yolk batter can be seen.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake in water bath at 160C for 70-80 minutes or until the cake bounces back when you lightly press the top and not squishing.
5. Remove from oven and leave it for a couple of minutes before unmoulding.
Allow to cool completely before slicing.