The above is Pandan dough with corn custard…just add in the canned corn into the custard after cooked. Added about 4 tablespoons. Reserve some plain custard first to pipe on the top of the buns.
Sweet Custard Buns
(makes 6 buns)
200g bread flour
20g castor sugar
20g unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg and top up with milk to obtain 130g
1/4 tsp salt
3g instant yeast
15g AP Flour
10g Corn Starch
5g Custard flour (Use 15g custard flour and omit the corn starch if you want more yellow custard)
Pinch of salt
1 tsp of vanilla extract (optional)
1. In a stand mixer with dough hook, place all dough ingredients except butter and mix until smooth, about 5 minutes.
2. Add butter and continue to knead to window pane stage.
3. Gather into a ball and allow to proof until doubled.
4. Divide into 6 equal pieces (about 62g), roll into balls and allow to rest for 10 mins.
5. Roll out into a flat disc about 5 inches in diameter and place a portion of custard into the middle and seal up properly.
6. Place into a paper liner. Repeat with the balance dough. Allow to proof, covered until doubled.
7. Preheat oven to 170C. Brush the top of the buns with egg wash then pipe swirls with reserved custard.
8. Bake for 15 minutes then lower to 160C and continue to bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool on rack.
To make the filling:
1. Sift all the flours together and mix well with lightly beaten egg. Heat milk, sugar and salt, stirring until sugar dissolved. On low heat, slowly add egg mixture while stirring to avoid lumps. Use a hand whisk to whisk vigorously until thickens and smooth. Remove from heat, stir in butter. Transfer to a bowl and cover with cling film touching the top of the custard. Chill until needed. Reserve about 30g for piping swirls on the top. Divide the balance into 6 portions for filling.