100g Cake flour
70g Corn Oil
50g Orange Juice + zest of one orange
70g pureed pumpkin
40g caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
5 yolks (from 65g eggs)
1 tsp Sunquick (optional)
6 egg whites
50g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. In a large mixing bowl, place yolks, oil, pumpkin, orange juice, 40g sugar, salt and Sunquick (if using) and use a hand whisk to whisk until combined. Sift in flour and mix again until lump free and smooth. Set aside.
2. Beat the egg white until frothy before adding the cream of tartar and continue to beat while gradually adding the 50g of sugar until a firm meringue is achieved.
3. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue using a hand whisk until fully incorporated. Add the balance in two portions and towards the end, switch to a spatula to gently scoop from the bottom of the bowl and fold up. Keep folding until no streaks of egg yolk batter can be seen.
4. Finally pour batter into a 20 cm chiffon pan. Run a skewer around the batter to break big bubbles.
5. Bake at 160C for 85-90 minutes steam bake method. Place your tube pan into a seamless pan before placing into another bigger pan filled with hot water. Temperature and baking time is a guide only, so adjust accordingly. Remove the water bath at the last 5-10 minutes of baking.
6. Once cooked, remove from oven immediately and invert to cool before unmoulding.