Marble Butter Cake
Recipe adapted from Barry Apek’s Batik Butter Cake
230 gm salted butter
100 gm caster sugar
200 gm self raising flour (sifted)
4 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
70g caster sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
45 gm milk for plain batter
45 gm cocoa liquid (dissolve 10gm of cocoa powder in 35gm of warm water)
1. Beat butter, salt and the 100gm of sugar until light & fluffy. Add in egg yolks, one at a time, beating well until incorporated before adding the next one. Add vanilla extract. Add sifted flour in 3 additions, mix until fully incorporated.
2. Divide the batter in (1) into 2 equal portions.
3. Add the 2 liquids into each of the 2 batters; mix well until combined. Set aside.
4. Whisk the egg white until frothy before adding the cream of tartar. Continue to whisk and gradually adding the sugar, to firm peaks. Divide equally into the two prepared butter batter and gently fold in using a spatula.
5. Spoon the batters randomly into an 8″ round bottom lined pan.
6. Bake in preheated oven at 165C for 55-60 minutes or until golden brown. I wrap the cake pan with several strips of baking paper wrapped with foil to achieve an even and crackless top.