Orange Lemon Sponge Cake
70g plain flour
10g corn flour
20g caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
6 egg yolks
50g Corn oil
70g orange/lemon juice – juiced from 1 large orange and 1/2 a lemon (mix and measure out 70g)
zest of one orange and lemon
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (you may omit or replace with 1 tsp of lemon juice or vinegar)
60g caster sugar
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together yolks, 20g sugar, oil, salt, zest and juice. Add sifted flour and which to combine. Set aside.
2. Whisk egg white till foamy, add cream of tartar and continue to whisk while gradually add the 60g sugar. Whisk to firm peaks.
3. Add 1/3 of the meringue to yolk batter and mix thoroughly to lighten before adding another 1/3 portion. Finally switch to a spatula to scoop from bottom of bowl and fold up until no streaks of yolk batter can be seen.
4. Pour into a 7″ lined square pan and bake with double pan in water bath at 160C for 90 minutes or until cooked.
5. Once cooked, remove from oven and unmould immediately to cool.