Bandung (rose flavour fruit tea) Chiffon Cake
100g plain flour
10g corn flour
20g caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
5 egg yolks
60g Corn oil
100g rose fruit tea
1 drop of tutti frutti oil
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
60g caster sugar
1. Sift flour and salt together. Set aside.
2. Mix together oil, yolks, tutti frutti oil and rose fruit tea until well blended. Mix well before sifting in flour mixture and mix until combined. Divide into 3 portions and add some rose red color for the ombre effect. Set aside.
3. Beat egg whites until frothy, add in cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add in sugar and beat to firm peaks. Divide into 3 equal portions for the 3 divided yolk batter.
4. Lightly incorporate the meringue into all the batters.
5. Pour in the lightest batter first into an 8″ tube pan. Even out the sides before gently scoop in the second bowl of batter. Repeat with the last bowl and use a skewer to run lightly around the top to smoothen the surface.
6. Place the cake pan into a shallow non leaking pan and place these into a bigger pan. Pour hot water into the largest pan to about 1 cm in height.
7. Bake the cake on the lowest rack at 160C for 90 minutes or until cake is done. Tent the cake if it gets too brown. After removing cake from the oven, immediately invert to cool completely before unfolding.