100g plain flour
10g corn flour
20g caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
5 egg yolks
60g Corn oil
25g Limoncello Liqueur
75g Water or milk
Optional: zest from 1 lemon
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
60g caster sugar
1. Sift flour and salt together. Set aside.
2. Mix together oil, yolks, Limoncello and water until well blended. Mix well before sifting in flour mixture and mix until combined. Set aside.
3. Beat egg whites until frothy, add in cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add in sugar and beat to firm peaks.
4. Lightly incorporate the meringue into the batters using a hand whisk and for the final part,switch to a spatula to scoop from bottom and fold on to the batter to ensure even mixing.
5. Pour in the batter into an 8″ (20cm) tube pan. Use a skewer to run lightly around the top to smoothen the surface.
6. Place the cake pan into a shallow non leaking pan and place these into a bigger pan. Pour hot water into the largest pan to about 1 cm or less in height.
7. Bake the cake on the lowest rack at 160C for 88-90 minutes or until cake is done. Tent the cake if it gets too brown. After removing cake from the oven, immediately invert to cool completely before unfolding.