Gula Melaka Chiffon
6 eggs yolks – I used grade A eggs (65g)
60g corn oil
100g plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
50g coconut milk
50g pure gula melaka
6 eggs whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (may replace with 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar)
1. Melt gula melaka with coconut milk and a piece of pandas leave. Strain into a large mixing bowl. Add the oil and yolks and mix well.
2. Add sifted flour and mix with a hand whisk until combined. Set aside.
3. Beat the egg whites until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peaks form.
4. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Add the next 1/3 portion and whisk again. Finally, add the last portion, whisk briefly before switching to spatula to scoop the batter from bottom and fold up on to the batter to make sure all are combined and no more yolk batter can be seen.
5. Pour into an 8″ (20cm) tube pan and place it into another seamless pan before placing these into a shallow water bath. Bake at 160C for 90 mins. Water bath should dry up towards the end of the baking time. If not, then remove the water pan and continue to bake until cooked.
6. Invert immediately to cool completely before unmolding.