Honey/lemon Butter Cake
Recipe adapted from Barry Apek
4 egg yolks
200g self raising flour (I used cake flour with 1 tsp of baking powder)
150g sugar (I used 120g)
50g freshly squeezed lemon juice
25g honey (stir into lemon juice)
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
5 egg whites (I used 4 only)
50g castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Preheat oven to 170C. Line the bottom of an 8″ round or 7″ square pan. Grease and flour the sides.
1. Cream butter with 150g sugar until pale and creamy. Add in yolks one by one, beating well to combine.
2. Add 1/3 of the flour followed by half the honey lemon juice, then another 1/3 flour and the balance of juice. Add in the last 1/3 portion of flour, lemon zest and vanilla, mix well on low speed with your mixer. Scrap down as needed to get a smooth batter. Set aside.
3. In a clean, dry bowl, whip up the egg whites until frothy before adding the cream of tartar and continue to whip while gradually adding the sugar, until firm peaks formed.
4. Add 1/4 portion of the meringue into the yolk batter and mix with lowest speed to lighten the batter. Switch to a spatula and continue to fold in the balance of the meringue into the yolk batter until evenly mixed.
5. Pour into prepared pan and place the cake pan into another bigger pan. Bake at 170C for 50-55 minutes on lowest level. Place a ramekin filled with hot water at the hottest spot of the oven in order to obtain a crack free cake. Remove it half way through baking time.