Double Chocolate Butter Chiffon
Recipe adapted from Enne Ty’s cocoa butter sponge
6 yolks (average 65g with shell)
80g unsalted butter
20g castor sugar
90g cake flour
Pinch of soda bicarbonate
Pinch of salt
50g cooking chocolate
80g castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Tube Pan size 20cm or 8″
1) Preheat oven to 160C. Sift flour and cocoa powder together with soda and salt.
2) Melt chocolate in the microwave.
3) Next melt butter in microwave for 40 seconds with half the milk.
4) Pour hot melted butter/milk into sifted flour/cocoa mixture
5) Mix with spatula and add balance milk followed by yolks, 25g sugar and melted chocolate. Set aside.
6) Beat the whites till foamy before adding cream of tartar and then gradually add the balance 80g sugar. Beat till firm peaks.
7) Fold meringue into yolks batter in 3 portions till well incorporated.
8)Slowly pour batter pan from a height. This will help to break bigger bubbles as they flow into the pan. Place the tube pan into another seamless pan of slightly bigger size and place this into a shallow tray holding about a cup of hot water. The water will help to prevent cracks on the cake. If you are not particular about this, just bake without the water.
9) Bake at 160deg for 90 mins top n bottom heat on the lowest rack.
10) When cake is done remove and invert immediately to cool.