Orange Chiffon (slitted top)
5 yolks (average size: 58g)
65g corn oil
75g freshly squeezed orange juice
90g cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
60g castor sugar (reduce this if your orange juice is sweet)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
17cm tube pan
Preheat oven to 170C.
1. In a large bowl, mix together yolks, oil, juice, 20g sugar and salt until combined. Add in sifted flour, mix until smooth and set aside.
2. In a clean dry bowl, add the egg whites and whip until foamy before adding the cream of tartar. Continue to beat while gradually adding 60g sugar until very firm, almost stiff but not dry.
3. Add a third of the meringue into the yolk batter and mix with a hand whisk to lighten the batter before adding the next third portion. FOr the final portion, switch to a spatula and fold gently from bottom to the top using cutting motion to minimize deflation. Mix until no streaks can be seen.
4. Transfer into tube pan and run a skewer around the batter to remove big bubbles and even the top.
5. Place the tube pan into another slightly bigger pan and stand this into a another pan holding a shallow water bath.
6. Bake with top heat only for 20-25 mins or until to crust is slightly brown. Carefully take the cake out and cut the slits with a sharp knife. Place the cake back and continue to bake with top/bottom heat at 160C for 60-70 mins or until cooked. Remove the water pan at the last 20 mins of baking. Oven temperature and timing is a guide only, please know your oven and adjust accordingly.
7. Once done, remove cake from oven and immediately invert to cool completely before unmoulding.