Chocolate Sponge Cake (cooked dough method)
3 eggs yolks – I used grade B eggs which is about 60g
40g corn oil
35g plain flour
15g cocoa powder (I used a mixture of dark cocoa powder and valrhona cocoa powder for the extra dark look)
Pinch of salt
3 eggs whites
Line the base of an 6″ round pan. Do not grease the sides.
1. Put oil in a saucepan and heat on low fire until just simmering. If you have a thermometer it should read 70C. Remove and immediately add the flour and cocoa powder (sift both together before adding) and stir with a whisk until smooth.
2. Add in the milk and stir to combine. At this stage the batter will becomes thick and lumpy.
3. Add in egg yolks and whisk with hand whisk until batter is smooth and runny again. Set aside.
4. Beat the egg whites until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peaks form.
5. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Add the next 1/3 portion and whisk again. Finally, add the last portion, whisk briefly before switching to spatula to scoop the batter from bottom and fold up on to the batter to make sure all are combined and no more yolk batter can be seen.
6. Pour into prepared pan and bake in water bath at 160C for 80-90 mins or until the cake bounces back when you lightly press the top.
7. Remove from oven and leave it for a couple of minutes before unmoulding.