6 large egg yolks
70g corn oil
60g gula melaka syrup (boil a piece of gula melaka with some water and measure out 60g)
40 g coconut milk
95g self raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Line the bottom an 8″ round pan. Grease the sides for easier unmoulding. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Sift flour and salt together.
3. Beat egg yolks, oil, salt, gula syrup and coconut milk together until combined.
4. Stir in the flour until smooth. Set aside.
5. Beat egg whites until frothy before adding cream of tartar. Continue beating while gradually adding the sugar. Beat till firm peaks but not stiff.
6. Mix 1/3 of meringue with yolk batter with a hand whisk. Add another 1/3 portion and fold gently with the whisk. Then pour in balance of meringue. Fold gently using a spatula until no more streaks of meringue can be seen.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan and tap pan lightly to remove air bubbles.
8. Bake with a water bath at 160C for 80-90 minutes or until cooked. (Time and temperature is indicative only)
9. Remove from oven, wait until cake has pulled away from the sides before inverting on to a smooth non stick pan. Remove paper lining and re-invert on to a rack.
10. Place cake in the oven (do not turn it on) to dry, using the remaining heat, if the cake is still damp.