Christmas Mince Pie
adapted from here
Ingredients for mince meat:
55g dried apricots
1 small apple – peeled and chopped
1/2 tablespoon strawberries jam
45g brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
Ingredients for pastry:
275g plain flour
25g almond meal
175g cold butter- cubed
75g icing sugar-sifted
zest of 1/2 lemon
1 egg yolk
Instructions for mince meat:
1. Place sultanas, raisins, dates, apricots and apple in food processor and process until coarsely chopped.
2. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the rest of the ingredients. Cover and store in the fridge until ready to use.
Instructions for Pastry:
1.Mix flour and almond meal in a mixing bowl.
2.Add cold butter and rub into the flour/almond meal until it resembled breadcrumbs.
3.Add icing sugar, lemon zest, egg yolks and milk and mix well until a dough forms. Wrap with cling film and chill in fridge for 20 minutes.
To assemble the pies:
Preheat oven to 180C.
1. Roll out pastry, cut out rounds to fit your pie moulds. Line the mould with the cut out pastry.
2. Fill each pie with the prepared mince meat until full. Cover with another piece of pastry dough artistically.
3. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.