Hot Cross Buns
330g Bread Flour
30g light brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1.5 tsp active yeast
120g full cream milk
30g lukewarm water
1 tablespoon honey
30g softened butter
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg for eggwash
Paste for the cross: mix 2-3 table spoon of flour with water, add bit by bit until a paste forms.
1. In the stand mixer bowl, place all dry ingredients and mix with a whisk until combine.
2. Stir the yeast in the lukewarm water until diluted and set aside until foamy. Add in the milk, vanilla extract and honey and stir to mix before adding to the flour mixture.
3. Knead until a smooth dough forms then add in the softened butter and raisins and continue to knead to window pane.
4. Allow to proof, covered, until doubled in size. Transfer to lightly floured table top and knead gently to de-gas. Divide into 6 portions. Rest for 10 minutes.
5. Shape each portion into balls and place into prepared pan (greased and lined).
6. Proof until doubled again, brush egg wash on and pipe a cross over each bun.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
8. Remove from pan and allow to cool on a rack. You can brush the top with some diluted jam before serving if you wish.