Chocolate Banana Cake
100g butter, melted
150g caster sugar
175g self-raising flour
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 baking powder
4 tbsp cocoa powder
100g chocolate chips
180g very ripe bananas
3 large eggs, separate 2
50g full cream milk (liquid)
For the topping:
100g milk chocolate
50g whipping cream
some chopped roasted walnuts
Heat oven to 160C. Grease and line bottom a 9 x 5″ loaf pan with baking paper (allow it to hang over top of tin).
1. Mix together sugar, flour, leaveners, cocoa powder and chocolate chips in a large bowl.
2. Mash the bananas in another large bowl and stir in the whole egg + the 2 yolks, melted butter and milk. Once combined set aside.
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
4. Add banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just incorporated.
5. Add 1/3 of the meringue and mix with a spatula to lighten before adding the remaining meringue. Mix gently until fully incorporated then transfer into prepared baking pan.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 70-75 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack.
While cooling, prepare the ganache. Heat up 50g of whipping cream and pour over 120g of chocolate chunks, wait few minutes then stir until smooth. Cool slightly then apply to the cooled cake. Chill until ganache is set before slicing and serve.