Thai Milk Tea Chiffon
100g cake flour
6 egg yolks
65g corn oil
100g Thai Milk Tea – see below for preparation
pinch of salt
6 egg whites
50g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Thai Milk Tea preparation ~ you only need 100g:-
100ml hot water
2 Thai Tea Bags
1 tbsp condensed milk
Method to prepare Thai Milk Tea:
Steep the teabags in hot water for a few minutes. Remove the bags and add the condensed milk. Stir to dissolve then remove the bags. Cool before use.
Method for preparing Cake:
Preheat oven to 160C.
1. Sift flour with salt.
2. Mix egg yolks together with oil, cooled tea and stir until well blended. Add in flour mixture and mix until combined.
3. Beat egg whites until frothy, add in cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add in the 50g sugar and beat to firm peaks.
4. Lighten the batter with 1/3 portion of the meringue using a hand whisk. Then add another 1/3 portion of the meringue and gently fold. Repeat with the remaining portion until fully incorporated.
5. Gently pour the batter in a circular motion into an 8″ tube pan until complete.
6. Bang the cake pan on the kitchen bench to remove large air bubbles. Place the cake on to another shallow leak proof pan. Place this into another bigger cake pan and pour hot water into the largest pan to about 1 cm deep.
Bake at 160C for 90 minutes or until cake is done. Tent the cake if it gets too brown. Remove the water at the last 10 minutes of baking. After removing cake from the oven, immediately invert to cool complete before unmoulding.